Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Song Spotlight: "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding"

The events of the last few days, weeks, and years are truly troubling to me. I wonder where the world is heading, and if we can be saved from ourselves. Greed, anger and hate seem to become more and more prevalent each day, and those that preach love, selflessness and compassion are laughed at and called hippies. Even our worlds supposed religious people tend to gravitate to the hypocrisy of modern society. Go to any church in America this Sunday and I guaranty you can find a bunch of NRA stickers on the cars. Let alone the amount the cars cost, both to buy and to fuel, money that could be used for so many other worthwhile endeavors. But, if you want to talk about anti-war sentiment, environmental responsibility or being part of a world community that helps one another people laugh at you. So today I spotlight the Nick Lowe song that was made famous by Elvis Costello and infamous by Bob Harris.

As I walk through
This wicked world
Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.
I ask myself
Is all hope lost?
Is there only pain and hatred, and misery?
And each time I feel like this inside,
There's one thing I wanna know:
What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding?
What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding?

And as I walked on
Through troubled times
My spirit gets so downhearted sometimes
So where are the strong
And who are the trusted?
And where is the harmony?
Sweet harmony.
'Cause each time I feel it slippin' away, just makes me wanna cry.
What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding?
What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding?
So where are the strong?
And who are the trusted?
And where is the harmony?
Sweet harmony.
'Cause each time I feel it slippin' away, just makes me wanna cry.
What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding?
What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding?
What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding?

_

No comments: