Sunday, March 11, 2007

Ouch! My Nuts!

Last night Inky and I went to see a movie (Amazing Grace) and then went over to our old stompin' grounds for pizza. As we drove down Richland Ave toward campus we drove by Mike's Nut Shop, which I've never been mature enough to pass with out laughing. That tradition goes back over 10 years to a time when XL and I would drive by and laugh like Beavis and Butt-head.

So imagine my surprise when I logged onto the Sunday newspaper to find out that the Nut Shop was damaged in an explosion on Saturday night. In fact if you click that link you'll see that the damage to the Nut Shop was so important that it warranted the sub-headline "Mike's Nut Shop was also damaged in the blast." Welcome to York news coverage.

Don't get me wrong, I think any damage to a towns Nuts (Shop) is worth reporting, but maybe not in the head line. It's funny, but for all the times I've mentioned the Mike's Nuts or thought about them, I've never been in his shop O nuts. The closest I ever came was when XL and I went to a local dive bar, back when I was still drinking and they had a sigh proudly announcing: We serve Mike's nuts." You can't make that kind of shit up.

(Post Script) Sunday 6:04: Inky and I drove past the site after our Sunday breakfast run, only to find Mike's Nut shop missing. At first I thought maybe York had tucked it back to see what it would look like with no Nuts, but it seams that the damage was so extensive that the building had to be ripped down. York has been castrated.

_

No comments: