Thursday, January 18, 2007

I didn't say @/#!! I said motherfucker.

This is the last in my series of rants and musings from our trip to Virginia Beach. The trip was great, and badly needed, and VB is a real nice area to visit. That being said; I am kind of a dick and I find little stuff to make fun of no matter where I go.

As Inky and I walked the streets of VB we noticed these little circular signs that let everyone know that cursing was not allowed in them there parts. We thought it was pretty funny, and got an even bigger kick out of the bigger, more inclusive signs they had that had a list of other things that are not allowed.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't think kids should be subjected to a lot of the things that the sign outlaws. That said, I also think we have gotten a little out of control with how we try and make everything "kid friendly" these days. It's always the kids who grow up in the house where they are coddled who end up snapping and shooting half their co-workers. Maybe hearing a curse word on the street while they are at the beach isn't the worst thing that can happen to them.

As for the sexually explicit behavior part, that depends on how you define it. Sure we can all agree that you shouldn't be giving head on the boardwalk, but I'm pretty sure that's not what they are talking about. I'm not a big fan of P.D.A's either but as every "teen summer love while on family vacation at the beach" movie has taught us, sometimes the kids need to get all up on's with one another. That is until the girl from the city sees the beach guy she's been flinging with, in the arms of another. Then her dad tries to put Baby in a corner and then they dance... wait wrong movie. Shit. Where was I?

Oh yeah, the sign. The thing that really made me laugh was the third bullet point prohibiting "wearing revealing attire which is inappropriate in a public setting." Have you been to a beach lately? Some of the bikinis that girls wear today could fit in those little plastic bubbles you get from the toy and candy machines in the front of the supermarket.

So... it's OK to dress like a ho-bag on the beach, but not 35 yards away on the street with all the shops. I mean come on! If you can't walk from the beach in your micro-bikini to buy your hermit crab (free with the purchase of a cage- what a bargain) then haven't the terrorists won? All I know is we didn't get bothered once while we were there, which is surprising. We both had on thongs and were walking around yelling fuck at the top of our lungs while giving the finger to passing cars.

_

1 comment:

princess1128 said...

Wow, that is a really interesting sign...who knew you guys wore thongs.