Monday, January 22, 2007

Damn, The best I ever found was a sea shell.

Anyone who's been to a beach has seen the old people walking around with a metal detector. Presumably they are looking for rings, coins and maybe even pirate loot. I highly doubt any of them ever found a fifty thousand dollar BMW Motorcycle.

When the freighter HMS Napoli was holed and began taking on water, her Captain beached her on a sand bar off the cost of England. The ship is listing to Port, and as such some of her trailer sized containers have plummeted into the sea, and washed up on the beach. The English government has posted warnings in every possible way about the danger of the oil in the water, and also the danger of salvaging items from the wreck. It is against the law to salvage these items, says the government and if you are caught there is a fine.

I don't know about you folks, but if I found this BMW, I don't know if I would turn it in. If you do it's just going to end up as some auction where the shipping line gets to double dip through insurance. See, they'll file an accident claim and basically get reimbursed for all the items lost, and then they will get to see the ones worth selling. There's a place on the Eastern Shore of Maryland where they used to do the same thing with things that were damaged in truck shipping. Although, come to think of it, the best thing I ever found at Preston Salvage was a box of CD's. I never saw a BMW.


_

No comments: