Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Ten Years.

Tuesday the 5th of December 2006 started much the same way as Thursday the 5th of December 1996. For me at least. I woke up a bit before 8:00 AM and then headed out for campus. Then I was a student and now I am an administrator and even though much has changed for me over these last 10 years one thing has remained the same. But, I’m getting ahead of myself.

Then I was a 20 year old College Junior who was heading on to campus to do my radio show from 8am to ten. We would get up at about 7:45 and throw on a pair of jeans, a sweatshirt and a baseball cap and rush to get to the radio station before we were due to sign on. The show had always just been my best friend XL and I, but that day we were going to have a special guest host. XL and I did just about everything together, and we spent an awful lot of time with one another. So I think he knew that I would only change our routine if it was important to me. Plus he had listened to me whine for a few months about how much I liked our new guest host, and how much I wished she was single so I could “take a run at her” to quote Champ Kind.

So on that day in 1996, the newly single Inky came up to the radio station to join “the Birds Nest” radio show. XL and I had our normal retarded back and forth going on until Inky entered the studio, and at that point XL might as well have just left. I was focused on this woman and tried my best to flirt with her. After the show we both went about our school work, and tried to finish up projects for the end of the semester. At some point in the afternoon I ran into her at the campus TV station and I asked her if she wanted to go on a date with me that night. She said yes. Sadly, the story isn’t all good, because I took her to Denny’s (albeit the “good Denny’s”).

Now I am a 30 year old College Employee who was rushing to get onto campus before work started at 8:30. I get up around 7:45 and shower, shave, and put on a dark suit with a French cuffed shirt and shiny shoes. It’s not an exciting life, and certainly not where the me from 10 years ago saw myself ending up.

In the end, however, it is all worth it. Shitty jobs, thinking about money, bad apartments, long commutes, lack of focus and direction, the loss of loved ones. It all is held in check because for the last 10 years she has been with me. I walked her to her door that Thursday night and gave her a hug and thanked her for spending the time with me. I floated back to my apartment and could hardly sleep that night because for the first time in my life I had been in the company of a woman who set my soul alight. We had another date the next night, and it only took me a few weeks to tell her that I was going to Marry her. And 32 months later I did.

It was, and still is the best thing that ever happened to me. I love you now more than ever baby. Thank you for being you.

_

2 comments:

Angry Inky said...

Wow, I'm going to cry. I love you too. Thank you for being you, and thank you for Denny's last night

princess1128 said...

Wow - you guys are so cute...really...just so cute!!!