Monday, November 20, 2006

Why not just give him the rope?

I think the worst thing a person can do is to profit from a crime. Especially one they got away with. That was what OJ Simpson and Rupert Murdoch were about to do, and the American people were rightfully outraged. So much so that the two divisions of Murdoch’s empire that were poised to unleash his Book and TV special, pulled the plug. We won’t be able to watch his rant about “how he would have done it” nor will we be able to read the book version. Most people see this as a very good thing, and in almost every way I agree.

There are just a few small sticking points for me. First and foremost is a fact some people seem to be forgetting; that OJ still has to pay the Goldman and Brown families a considerable amount of money. Let him publish the book and reap the ill gotten gains so he has to turn right around and give that money to them. Ok, I know it’s not a perfect scenario, but I would love to think about him having to hand all that dough over. The second point is a bit less vindictive, but just as salient. Give him the rope to hang himself.

All the experts say that this book was tantamount to a confession, and being as double jeopardy has attached, he really doesn’t care. He could walk into the middle of a court house and say ‘ok, I did it’ and there is nothing more he can be tried for. I think he wants to tell people that, not only did he do it, but that he got away with it. He’s just the type of macho, hyper competitive asshole who would be caught up in this type of situation. Think Pete Rose: “I didn’t do it. I didn’t do it. I didn’t do it. Ok I did it, please buy my book.”

_

No comments: