Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Song Spotlight: Lies by The WAiFS

I've spent a lot of time over the last 24 hours watching TV, reading newspapers and listening to the radio. Don't get me wrong, I couldn't be happier about the shift in power in DC, but I am very let down in the news coverage. For a nation that is supposed to have a liberal media the coverage sure sounds like sour grapes to me. I was listening to a song that I will be playing on my radio show (Friday 11/17 at 11:00 PM) and it seemed right on for what I was hearing, seeing and reading.

So here are the lyrics for "Lies" by the Aussie Folk-Rock Band, The WAiFS:

You read the paper, watch the news and think you’re well informed
Well I’ve got some news for you my friend.
That headline that you read.
And that story that broke.
It was a scandal and a scam, a political masterstroke.
They tell you what they want you to hear.
Close your eyes and open your ears.

It’s easier that way
When you don’t have to think for yourself you say
I tell you no lies, I tell you no lies.
I read it all in black and white.
It was on my TV, they were telling me just what to believe.
I tell you no lies, I tell you no lies
And all the while they’re tellin’ you lies.

Everyday you and me, we see what we are shown.
Yes it’s hard to scratch below.
There are people at the top, they are hidden far from view.
They’re not going to show their faces to the likes of me and you.
You never see them on the street,
But you always see the things that they do.

They know that they can get away,
And no price is too high for them to pay.
I tell you no lies, I tell you no lies.
It’s very simple, It’s in black and white.
It’s on your TV, we got everything you need to believe.
I tell you no lies, I tell you no lies.
And all the while they’re tellin’ you lies.

_

No comments: