Monday, November 27, 2006

Some things never change.

I took a little trip to the doctors today, because I was on the verge of death. It wasn't a sickness that threatened to kill me, it was my wife. I've been coughing like a chain-smoking coal miner for the last week and a half, and I think she was getting tired of me saying 'I think it's about to pass.'

So off I went to the doctor who, after some tests and listening to my chest, told me I have Asmatic Bronchitis. She gave me an inhaler that I have to hit every 4 hours in addition to the pills and cough syrup I have to take through out the day. The pills are no big deal, and I can handle the inhaler, even though I don't notice a change when I use it.

It's the cough syrup that has me thinking of days gone by. The name on the bottle is Guaifenesin w/codeine, but I know better. It is really just the same old shit we all had shoved in our mouths for years. As I stood in my kitchen pouring it on to the teaspoon I got a flash back to my Mom and Dad's kitchen. I could almost feel my mother's hands around my jaw, forcing my mouth open as I raised the spoon to my lips. And as I stood there making faces and saying childlike words like: yuck, ick and eew, I swear I could hear my mother saying "oh come on Anthony, it's not that bad."

Yes it is.

It was and is the most vile tasting shit on the planet. Back in the days when I used to drink a lot of Jager, we used to joke that it tasted like cough syrup, but it had obviously been a long time since we had this shit. Jager is a fucking walk in the part compared to this shit.

_

1 comment:

frank said...

its funny because last year when i was sick and mom told me i needed to take cough syrup..i had to work myself up to being able to tink about the possibility of actually swallowing that shit....i have such a mental block on it..that i have to convince myself to take it..its sad