Monday, November 06, 2006

Pulling For My Alma Mater

Right now on campuses in Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky, Florida and dare I say New Jersey, alumni and students are pondering their chances of a national title in the Fall’s greatest sport. Will it be the Buckeyes, the Wolverines, The Cardinals, Gators or even the Scarlet Knights? Ok it won’t be Rutgers, but the chance exists for them to run the table and play in the title game.

All I know is that it won’t be the Spartans, not even in the Amos Alonso Stagg Bowl, the NCAA D-III title game. My school doesn’t have football, a fact that I found most upsetting as a student. I go to see games at my parents Alma Matters be it The University of Maryland or Harvard and in the end I feel no real connection. I follow the State Schools from the states that I have lived in: Maryland, New Jersey and now Pennsylvania. Maryland has a respectable season going, Penn St. only lost 1 game last year and Rutgers will probably only lose one this year. But it isn’t the same.

There is no real link. I don’t want to be one of these die hard losers who roots for a University that I didn’t go to, and I certainly don’t want to be one of those creepy freaks who goes to High School football games 30 or 40 years after they graduated or their kids did. Believe me, in South Central Pennsylvania we have them. Guys driving their car, complete with Penn State flag, sticker and magnetic paw prints, to the Central Dauphin East game. Never mind the fact that they went to Harrisburg Area Community College for two years after graduating from Camp Hill HS.

Where am I going with all this? Good Question.

I guess it is coming back to the playoff hunt my school finds itself in this fall. No we won’t be gathering in the alumni section in the stands aside the gridiron, we will be huddled on the little hill next to the pitch watching our undefeated soccer side. They enter the D-III field of 56 ranked #3 in the nation and having vanquished one of our greatest foes and having tied the #1 team in the land. So while Ohio State and Michigan will battle in a few weeks for the chance to hoist a crystal football sponsored by Sears, The Spartans and 55 other D-III teams will kick it about for ownership of the Chestnut and Bronze. GO SPARTS!

_

No comments: