Sunday, November 05, 2006

Movie Review: The Departed

I love mob movies. And since my father was a Wop from Boston, I've long been waiting for one that is set in Beantown. Granted, Boston is more of an Irish town, and that means a lot of people don't think of it as a place to set a mob flick like they do with New York or Vegas. So when I saw the trailer for "The Departed" I was juiced to catch this film.

While not your father's wiseguy movie the Departed has an all star cast and crew. Take Marty Scorsese and add a dream team of actors and you get one of the finest acted movies in years. The list includes: Jack Nicholson, Martin Sheen, Matt Damon, Leo DiCaprio, Mark Wahlberg and a guy who is quickly becoming one of my favorites, Alec Baldwin. Every actor in this movie gives a transcendent performance, which can be hard when you factor in the Boston accents for those who aren't from there.

I can't say enough about the acting, the dialog, or the visuals which were fantastic. But, this story does have more twists then the youngest brother nipples in a family of 12. You almost need a score card to keep track of the breakneck pace of this story, and I found myself longing for my Tivo remote so I could go back. It is almost as if someone tried to make a synopsis of a full season of an HBO show and crammed 13 hours of story into 2:45. I wanted more, which I guess is ok, but in the end there is no more story to be told because almost everyone dies in the end. That's good work out of you Marty.

_

No comments: