Thursday, November 09, 2006

Clark Fuckin' Kent

I live two lives. I'm one guy by day and another by night. For instance, today was a beautiful, warm, late fall day so I was sporting a tank top when I went to the dry cleaners to drop off my work clothes. I normally make this trip in work clothes: Suit, french cuff shirt with gold cufflinks, silk tie, highly polished leather shoes and a dopey left-hand part in my thinning hair. This is how the ladies at the dry cleaner know customer Greazytony.

On my own time, however, I sport a much different look. I can almost always be found with some sort of athletic Jersey which may or may not cover my tattoos. When ever possible I will be covering that thinning hair with some sort of fitted hat, and when the weather is nice I will have shorts on. Slovenly would be the best possible word to describe my look in my "personal" life whereas "tidy" or "professional" would be most apt in my work visage.

And so here I was in my personal garb walking into the cleaners dropping my shirts on the counter. "Medium Starch in a box please." I said to which the nice lady behind the counter said "Name please?" This surprised me because they normally recognize me by look if not by the request to get my shirts in a box rather then on a hanger. When I said my name she looked at my face and said "Oh. I didn't recognize you out of your work clothes."

I guess the clothes do make the man.

Which makes me realize that I am "the man" to many who gaze upon me in my monkey suit.

At lunch at work the other day one of my coworkers who, has seen me in non work get up, made a joke about my tattoos. At this point my boss who is clean cut both at work and at home (and one would imagine at a party or a roman orgy) laughed at the notion that his new hire, Mr. Cufflink, would have ink. Others at the table were laughing too, and I took this point to just interject: It's funny, cause you all think she's joking. And went back to my soup. Beneath my suit and tie my cape and tights lay quietly, ready for the chance to spring into action.

_

3 comments:

Angry Inky said...

B- You wear tights?
A- No I do not wear tights, I wear the required uniform.
B- Tights.
A- Shut up!

jer said...

I know how you feel. I have a tatto and a nipple ring. Though as I get larger and my shirt sizes stay the same, the tattoo has been more visible... so it's really only the nipple ring that serves as my cowl and black latex. Well, that and the cowl and black latex.

Askinstoo said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money