Sunday, October 08, 2006

Yankee Schadenfreude.

schadenfreude \SHOD-n-froy-duh\, noun:A malicious satisfaction obtained from the misfortunes of others.

I was born in Maryland, and when I was a kid my family moved to New Jersey. By then I was already indoctrinated in following the Washington Redskins, and the Baltimore Orioles. I love both teams with a white hot passion, which means I hate the Dallas Cowboys and the New York Yankees with a passion that burns in me like a golden hawk. Because of this the 90's were hard on me. Sure the decade started off with the Yankees and Cowgirls both sucking, and the 'Skins winning their 3rd Superbowl, but it got ugly. The Skins began to stumble the second Joe Gibbs left for NASCAR, and the O's have been pathetic - save two very good years while I was in college. During that time the Cowboys won 3 Superbowls and the Yankees 4 World series Titles. It has been hard to not become a hater.

And so today finds me as happy as any Sunday in the fall has in quite some time. The Yankees laid a huge turd of a series. And in doing so, were forced to watch as a team that if just a few years removed from losing 119 games sprayed their crowd with Champaign. I don't have any real attachment to the Tigers, just as I didn't much care for the Angles, Redsox, Marlins, Angles, or Diamondbacks over the last 5 years. But the old sports axiom came into play: "I root for the Orioles and whoever is playing the Yankees." And so there I was; sitting with Inky rooting on the Tiger's and baking in the failure of Alex Rodriguez and the Yankees. Here is a group of guys who make 200 million a year, but who don't make up a team. There are too many cooks in their kitchen, or more accurately; too many expectant patrons in the dining room with no cooks in the kitchen.

And so it is that the high point of my weekend was laughing with glee when the Yankees stumbled. I look forward the next few weeks as the Boss fires Joe Torre, trades Arod and others, and tries to mount another effort to buy the only thing that fills his black heart. A winner. Sorry George, your boys are losers!

_

1 comment:

frank said...

oh my god...ive still got a huge smile on my face since they lost...by the way months ago i predicted this very thing...and was told i was mad..cause the red sox were still in first...but im a stupid gay what do i know about baseball...i hate the yankees