Wednesday, October 18, 2006

History Stoned.

In my last post I talked about the business trip I was going on. I just got home from that trip and I have thoughts from the trip I would like to share. The first is inconsequential but, in my mind important, and goes thusly. You shouldn't be allowed to put a sign up at a highway exit for a gas station or restaurant if it is not right off that exit. I don't want to take a tour of the quaint Virginia country side with my tank on E and my stomach grumbling loud enough to loosen the lugnuts. Enough said.

The second point is, in my mind at least, a bit more salient. What are the statues of modern heroes(if we had any) going to look like. As I walked around D.C. today I took more time than usual to look at the statues. Here are colonial era heroes on horseback with their full dress uniforms on. They have a sword or cutlass on their hip or in their hand, and the plaque at the base of the visage tells the tales of great deeds or decisive action.

What will our statues look like? first off; they will all have the same goddamn suit on, with nothing to differentiate the 1960s from 2006. The people in these statues will not have any impressive accessories like those from the olden days, let alone a horse. And we can be damn sure that their plaques would have few if any impressive accomplishments.

I can see it now. On the corner of 13th and K St. the statue of President Bush. There he will sit atop his horse (Condie) with a Cross in one hand and a sack of ill gotten campaign money on his hip. The plaque will read:

George W. Bush
President of the United States
2000 - 2008
Starter of the Iraq War
Taker of Civil Rights
Friend to the Religious Right
And that's about all he did.


"George Bush doesn't care about black people" - Kanye West 2005

_

2 comments:

Angry Inky said...

You forgot about the coke. And, the drinking. And, that's about it.

Angry Inky said...

Also, he's a cantalope fucker.