Friday, September 22, 2006

Greazy's Workspace


Today I finished my 5th week at my new job and so far so good. I’ve actually gotten out on the road and done some of the work I was hired to do, meeting people face to face. I like being in my car, with my briefcase on the seat next to me filled with files and print outs from mapquest. I can listen to the radio, a CD or even an audio book as I go from place to place. It also has the feel of not being work at all when I am out and about. Don’t get me wrong, it is work, and it has stresses just like any job, but it’s nice to have a change of scenery from time to time.

Not that there’s anything wrong with my office mind you, because I really like it. See, I’ve spent the last 8 years since I graduated from college in cubicles or worse. Once for about 4 months I had a job at a TV station on the Eastern Shore of Maryland with a quasi office. It was two real walls in a corner with two cubicle walls set up to make a rectangle with one wall a bit shorter to make a "door." But, I didn’t spend any time at all in that office because I was busy totally ignoring my job responsibilities and doing no work at all. Now you see why I was only there for 4 months, what can I say; I was 23 and didn’t really give a fuck.

I have finally reached a point in my career where I have an office with 4 real walls and a door that locks and closes. I have arrived America! I know this sounds stupid, but let’s face it, shows like The Office and movies like Office Space are funny for a reason. We’ve all been there. We all have seen the boss who comes over and puts his or her arm on the top of your cubicle wall right before they ask you to do something they themselves would never do. We all have been next to the annoying guy or girl who plays their music too loud, farts, or eavesdrops on your phone calls. That’s why it’s nice for me to be in my own little space, with little touches of greazy all over it. When I am in there and not on the road, I feel a lot more comfortable then I ever did in any of my cubicles.

If you take a look at the picture above you can see my abode. Right behind where I took that shot is my Diploma, marking the first time I had a job where I felt it necessary to hang it. The photos above my computer monitor are shots Inky took on our trip to Australia. The one on the left is of the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Sydney Opera house. On the right is Inky’s art photo of a building with in a building in Melbourne. To the right of my phone is a photo from our wedding, seven years ago. And next to that is one of my favorite photos ever, one that has been on my desk for the last four years. It is a photo of my Pop hard at work at his desk in the Big Apple. On the pin up board is a photo of Inky and I scuba diving in Cairns. To the right of that is my red stapler (I could set the building on fire). Behind my briefcase is a Christmas card sent to my Grandfather by JFK, it is from 1962, the last Christmas Kennedy saw.

That’ll do it for this edition of TGWOOfY Cribs, now get out.

_

No comments: