Tuesday, September 19, 2006

From little things, big things grow.


I was watching the Daily Show last night and I was struck by something President Clinton said. He was talking about how the American people raised 1.3 Billion dollars for the Tsunami relief, and how if we were so inclined we could get together to change the world in other ways. The example he gave was one that I am quite fond of: ridding our country of its dependence on foreign oil. I’ve always been of the mind that the best way to stop tur (Bush speak for terror) is to cut off their money. If we drove cars that ran on something other then million year old dinosaur bones maybe the tourists (Bush speak for terrorists) wouldn’t have the dough needed to attack us.

I was in a meeting at work yesterday where this idea came into sharper relief for me. The director of my Alma mater’s entrepreneurship center was talking about all these million dollar prizes companies set up to encourage entrepreneurs to solve the big company’s problems. Things like a lunar lander that can be reused, or a car that can be run on something other then gas. If you solve these problems the prize is millions of dollars, and they need us to do it: the little people. Because the big companies and multi level organizations are all too cumbersome to be effective. Just like the Government. We need to start doing things on our level if we ever want things to get done.

We went to see Jon Stewart perform in stand up at the Merriweather Post Pavilion on Saturday night, and I thought Jon made a very salient point on this topic. He said that it is the 20% of people in this world with too much time on their hands that are ruining us. The other 80% of us are busy with shit to do and can’t go to marches, demonstrations or Terri Schiavo’s bed side to make our fucked up beliefs known. But, we have to make time. We have to reassert the control of the moderates to keep this world from being torn apart by the minority factions on either side of us.

But, Greazy, I’m just one person. I can’t make a difference.

Bullshit. President Clinton was right when he talked about the solution, just as Vincent Lingiarri was about his solution. Vincent was the leader of a group of Aboriginal people who got fed up over the way they were treated by their boss, Lord Vestey, and the nation of Australia. So Vincent and his people walked off the Cattle Station they worked at and demanded that things change. It took 8 years, but eventually the Prime Minister, Gough Whitlam, gave them their rightful land. One small group of people stood up to the powers that be, and through perseverance the got what they deserved. By the way, if you ever want to hear this story in song check out "From little things, Big things grow" by Paul Kelly, who I like to call the Australian Bob Dylan.

If half of us who say: I’m only one person, I can’t make a difference, started to try we could change the world. We just have to start letting those in power know that we don’t think it’s cool to let a few whack job zealots dictate what will go on in the rest of the world. And I’m talking about all the zealots here, be they Muslim extremists hell bent on the destruction of the western way of life. And the Christians who say "thou shall not kill" but support the death penalty and war without a hint of hypocrisy. Or the left wing nut cases who don’t want anyone to be able to acknowledge their religion in public. All these people suck donkey cock and the rest of us, who can think rationally need to shut them up!

_

No comments: